How do I apply?
You will need to check that you meet the eligibility criteria:
- GCSE mathematics, English and science at a minimum Grade C and current Grade 4 on the new system (or accepted equivalency - please contact us for advice). This is a core requirement.
- A Levels are not essential but can strengthen any application; especially the PGCE route.
- Degree at 1st or 2.1 but we are willing to consider candidates with a 2.2, dependent on their experience. Candidates must ensure that they have a full degree at honours as ordinary degrees or those without a research element will not be considered. If there are any concerns, please do contact Teach Thurrock.
- Degrees must be completed by July 2022. Any candidate completing in the 2022 must have a degree supplement issued directly from their provider before they enrol at the end of August.
- A passion and commitment to improving the life chances of young people through high quality teaching and learning.
- At least 10 days' classroom experience within the last 18 months for PGCE applicants is desirable and we can support arranging this after interview.
- A satisfactory enhanced disclosure from the Criminal Records Bureau (DBS), a completed Fit to Work and Declaration and barring form by the time of enrolment.
Applicants whose first language is a language other than English may be required to produce evidence of their English proficiency.
The Teach Thurrock Primary Partnership is committed to equal opportunities and will not discriminate on the grounds of colour, race, and nationality, ethnic or national origin, sex of marital status or on the grounds of disability.
Applicants apply through the DFE’s new teacher training website. Apply 1 has already opened.
The DFE site has proven challenging so listed below are the ways to find the Teach Thurrock Primary Partnership:
- Click on https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-teacher-training
- Click on the tab “Search for training programmes".
- Put in Teach Thurrock and this will take you to our PGCE programme
- General Primary – DFE course PGCE L206 – follow the instructions on how to apply
The interview will consist of:
- A short written task
- A mathematical task (see below for examples)
- An interview with a panel of head teachers from the partnership which this year is done remotely via Teams
Once the interview process has been completed and offer will the placed on the DFE site within 24 hours.
Once candidates have received all three offers per the DFE guidelines they are allowed 10 working days to accept and Teach Thurrock abides by these conditions so whilst we do keep in contact with candidates we do not push for an acceptance.
Successful candidates will begin the training programme full time in September 2022 once they have ensured that they have carried out any conditions of their offer (may be 10 days’ experience in a primary school)
Applicants who need to gain 10 days’ experience in a primary school may be eligible to take part in Teach Thurrock's Primary Experience Programme (TTPEP). For more information, contact Andrea Parfett at Dilkes Academy. firstname.lastname@example.org
Examples of maths questions
Applicants are advised to research the types of maths questions they might find on our UCL test. A good place to start may be Derek Haylock’s ‘Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers’. An example of a question type may be:
Use any written method to multiply 63 and 37. Does your method use distributive law? If so, explain. (You may be given marks for the quality of your explanation as well as the correct method).
There will be questions relating to more than the four operations so look at algebra, fractions and decimals. There may also be questions with more than one step.
Please go to this site for more support on preparing for the maths test: https://study.sagepub.com/haylock6e